Saturday, September 24, 2011

Meatballs!

Tonight will be the first night that my family tastes one of the recipes that I made from my freezer cooking day. They are eating Spaghetti and Meatballs tonight. Here is the recipe for Meatballs taken from "Don't Panic, Dinner's in the Freezer" by Susie Martinez, Vanda Howell and Bonnie Garcia.

One really nice thing about this book is that they give you the conversions if you want to make more than one batch of the recipe! Math is not my strong point so to me this is fabulous!

Meatballs - single batch
1 1/2  lbs. ground meat - I used beef, but you could really use whatever you want!
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1/3 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
1 Tbsp. parsley flakes
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Recipe yields: 20 medium meatballs - I started to make mine "medium" but they were still huge! So I made mine smaller and it made about 35-40! They're still good sized too!

Cooking day instructions: Combine all ingredients and mix together gently. Shape mixture into balls and arrange on jelly roll pan. Cover meatballs and flash freeze (put in freezer until frozen). Remove meatballs from pan and freeze using freezer bag method (place in bag and press all all air out, seal and label).

Serving day instructions: Thaw meatballs completly and place in a 350 degree oven for 30 min. (I did 24 min since mine were smaller and it was fine). Remove from pan and allow to cool or serve immediately.

You can use these with marinara sauce, bbq, cream sauce, really anything you want.

These were seriously so easy and quick to make! I will never buy meatballs from the store again!

They smelled incredible and the family ate them just fine minus my son who won't eat any meat other than chicken off the bone.  This is such a cheap way to make a filling meal! Especially if you get the meat at a good price  - cough cough - managers specials - cough. :) Pasta sauce, BBQ and pasta can be free or really cheap with coupons too!

Hope you enjoy!

More recipes from this book and others to come! It's a great book that I would think of purchasing if you're interested in freezer cooking! They also have a sequel that I have yet to purchase, but will most likely be purchasing soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment