Friday, September 16, 2011

Upcoming money saving projects!

In addition to couponing, I've decided to post about other ways to save money on food. I just received some books in the mail on canning and freezer cooking. I'll keep you updated on this journey as well. I may even post recipes and we can do a Julie/Julia thing together. Haha ;)

I'm most excited to try out some freezer cooking recipes. Freezer cooking is a method of cooking that involves spending one large chunk of time in the kitchen to make large batches of recipes, and then freezing them. Thereby leaving extra time around dinner time that you would normally spend prepping and cooking meals. Take out the item you want and thaw in the fridge the night before and when it's dinner time, pop it in the oven and you're good to go. If I can get the ingredients for a great price with a coupon then it will be even cheaper. It also sounds like it could be a healthier option than frozen pizzas (ahem.. insert husbands name here...) when I am away from the family, or even on nights I am home. I hate cooking when I'm tired. This seems like a good solution to me, but the hubby is skeptical. I think he's just scared of what I may be making. Don't worry honey, I won't make anything that I don't think you will like ;). I'll keep you updated on how it goes!

Also equally exciting are my canning books! I got books with more modern/gourmet recipes in them. There are some recipes that just look fabulous!! I can't wait to try some! Again, this could be a healthier and cheaper option for my family. Especially when the produce is grown in my garden!! I'll let you know about this too! Even looking in to growing a hydroponic garden in my basement for fresh produce year round ! I know, I'm sounding old and domestic here, but I need to keep my brain/body active or it will turn to mush. Lol.

Hope you are finding some useful tips on this page! Let me know what else you would like to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment